Does DroneVR work with the Samsung Gear VR ?
Unfortunately the Samsung Gear VR blocks the USB port that is required to connect to your drone’s controllers. Therefore with drones that connect via USB cable to your phone a Gear VR cannot be used without modifications . Some users flipped the phone in the Gear VR and drilled a hole in the clamp of the Gear VR so that the USB cable can be attached. We do not recommend this but you can do this mod at your own risks of course.
If you do this or want to use the Gear VR with Wi-Fi connected drones (such as the DJI Phantom 3 Standard/4K) you still need to disable the Oculus software that automatically launches when the Gear VR is connected. You can do this with apps such as CB Enabler for Gear VR or Package Disabler Pro.
What can I do if I loose video connection in flight ?
Loosing the video connection can happen if you fly beyond the maximum range or in case of interference from other radio sources and is not an exceptional situation for wireless connections.
In this case just activate the automatic return-to-home (RTH) functionality of your drone. Normally the video will recover when in the drone is back in range or the interference stops.
We strongly recommend you practice RTH a few times before using DroneVR.
Why am i not able to install the app on my phone ?
The reason is probably that your phone type is not supported or your operating system version does not meet the minimum requirements.
For iOS, DroneVR works on all iPhones and iPads and requires iOS 8 or higher.
For Android, DroneVR requires at least Android 5.1 (Lollipop).
Can i use DroneVR and the DJI Go app at the same time ?
On iOS you can switch between the DJI Go App and DroneVR at any time, even while in flight. You can do this for example to adjust detailed camera settings that are not available in DroneVR.
On Android the DJI Go App only works if you make it the “default” app that is launched when you plug in the USB cable. If you make any other app the default app, the DJI Go App won’t be able to connect to your drone any more. If you run into this issue you can resolve this by removing the default association via the Android Settings App / Applications menu or by de-installing the app.
You can use DroneVR also when DJI Go is the default app. Just launch DroneVR manually and grant permission to access the USB device when asked.
My drone does not connect, what can i do ?
Please follow the following recipe if you experience connection problems:
- When starting the App for the first time your phone must be connected to the Internet to register with DJI. This step is needed only once. In case you delete and re-install the app it needs to be registered with DJI again.
- Turn on your remote controller and drone.
- Connected your phone to the remote controller via USB cable (e.g. Phantom 3/4/Mavic/Inspire) or WiFi (for e.g. DJI Phantom 3 Standard / 4K).
- Start the app. On Android do not make DroneVR the default app, otherwise the DJI Go App won’t work anymore.
- Select the correct drone model from the list and press connect.
- If the drone does not connect, we recommend to restart your phone, drone and remote controller and try again.
Special note for Mavic Pro users: To use DroneVR with the Mavic Pro your phone needs to be connected via USB cable (Wi-Fi is not supported for stability reasons). Please connect the USB cable to the middle USB port at the bottom of your remote controller. The short USB cable at the left side of the controller must be completely disconnected from the controller. Otherwise the lower USB port will not be active.
What to do if my video looks blurry and out of focus ?
The DJI drones Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 Pro have a camera with adjustable focus. Depending on where the camera was pointing when you started the drone, it might be focused either near or far. To adjust the focus do the following:
- Hover your drone. Focusing won’t work correctly when flying at speed.
- Point the center of the camera at something that you want to appear sharp.
- Pressing the 5D button (Mavic) or bottom left button (Phantom 4 Pro) on your remote control triggers autofocus for your camera.
- On iOS phones the bottom left button also switches the view between phone and drone camera, so you need to press twice if you have activated this function.